Tired of the cold weather? Try this traditional comfort food, but with a great an easy hack from Food & Wine Magazine:
Roasting chicken upright in a Bundt pan lets the bird brown all over. Plus, the juices drip down and flavor veggies layered beneath so they won’t dry out like they do in a baking pan.
Roasted Chicken with Sausage & Peppers:
Ingredients: Active : 30 minutes, Total: 1hr 45min, Serves 4
3/4 lb Hot Italian sausages halved crosswise
3 Italian frying peppers or Cubanelles, halved lengthwise and seeded.
2 Large red bell peppers, cut into large strips
2 Large red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
2Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
Kosher Salt and Pepper
One 4-lb whole chicken
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Wrap the center pillar of a 10-inch Bundt pan with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the sausages with all the peppers, the onions, the 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and 1 Tbsp. of oregano.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oregano and the lemon zest. Perch the chicken on the pan by inserting the center pillar into the cavity.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 hour, until the insta-read thermometer inserted in an inner thigh registers 155°. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the sausages, peppers, onions and pan juices to a platter. Carve the chicken, arrange on the platter and serve right away.